Wednesday, July 23, 2008

WEDNESDAY WAS A BIG DAY!


Starting at the beginning...

Arrived at the church and did my normal...checked on the dehumidifiers and emptied them in the basement...checked on the workers to see what they've accomplished...and checked in at the command center. Then we put up our signs out on 10th Street for the HOPE Outreach Center. My youth pastor hitched up the church trailer to his pick-up truck and we were off for Indy.

A church from another community (they were also flooded!) gave me a lead on some good used office furniture up in Indianapolis. The good part...it was FREE for schools and churches. When we found the huge warehouse I went in to speak to one of the ladies in the office and made the connection. Some paperwork was filled out and then we could look at any of the hundreds of items categorized in certain groupings. Well, we searched for the best filing cabinets, shelving units, tables, chairs and some other smaller items. We loaded 'er down and locked 'er up!! Thanks Lord for this bounty of blessings that will be used mainly for our basement classes and children's ministry rooms. (Remember, the entire church basement filled up with some 9 feet of water in the Flood of '08 and everything was destroyed and hauled out to the dumpsters!! God is good...all the time!)

While in Indy I received a call from Susan concerning a shipment of goods that was donated to our church for the HOPE Outreach Center. Pastor Joel and myself made some calls for more hands to help with these 6 skids of cleaning supplies, toiletries, water, bleach, meal packages and other goodies. They set them up by the other supply skids that have been dwindling down over the last several weeks. It's amazing how God provides and takes care of the needs of those flooded out and others who've fallen on hard times. Don't forget....each person that comes in our center receives valuable supplies...and also powerful and valuable prayers that are lifted up to heaven on their behalf. Many continue to give their hearts and lives to Christ through this fruitful ministry! PTL!

After our bounty trip we drove over to the other side of Indy to meet with our flooring contractors. I finalized the flooring contract with my rep and also searched for the other donations this company was making to our church in the form of desks, chairs and bookshelves. We had a little difficulty at first locating our gifts, but later learned that they would work out the issues on their end. I was assured of some quality office furniture to be used in our office suites off the foyer and also entrances to the church building. Thanks Lord for the way you continue to amaze me with each detail and specific part of this rebuilding phase! You are good...all the time!

Stopped by CT Church before getting on the interstate. Met with one of the staff members and checked in with them about our church situation. Laid the seed for a God-sized harvest!

Then we arrived back to CFA in the middle of the afternoon. My bookkeeper had informed me while I was up in Indy that two God-sized checks arrived in the mail today. PTL! That will get your heart racing...one was the flood insurance check we were waiting for (a complete coverage check...but still way short of the total rebuild cost)...and the other one was a generous offering check from a friend's church in Illinois. Awesome! Little by little...the miracle of rebuilding debt free is unfolding!

Kristy had a little trouble with the large insurance check at the bank so I arrived to see what I could do to help. Looks like I couldn't do much better...but in pressing through we arrived at a decision of opening up a special account with our mortgage banker. Had to call in our church check signers to arrange the specifics...and then we were done...about 5:15 pm! Thanks Ted and Bill! You guys are amazing!!

Went back to the church to wrap things up for the day...and then off to home about 6 pm! Wow...what a huge day!

Tonight we helped Tammy out a bit in getting ready for her big garage sale this weekend. Cleaned the front of our house...remember the top of the post where mama robin raised her chicks?....she was really messy, so that had to be cleaned up. Then I kinda got carried away cleaning all the siding and windows around the front porch. J helped me out, plus D and A too!

Later, "J", "D", "A" and me went out on our usual bike ride to wind down the night. Rode by many homes that were "hit" and damaged by the Flood of '08. Stirs your heart to see families struggling to rebuild their homes while living in RV trailers parked in the driveway. So many homes flooded out...so many businesses that had to relocate...our church and others were destroyed...such devastation to our community! But God...

Gotta wind this blog post down and sign off...

**Before I do it's been a while since I've had a "comment" from the hundreds of listeners out there. How about some of you jot me a line to let me hear from you....OK? You would make my day...even better!! (Click on the comment line below to record your thoughts...it's really simple!)

Thrilled at the way God moved in my faith journey today. What does He have in store for me tomorrow? What does He have in store for you? Get ready...

Love to all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Don,

I am so excited to see and hear all that is happening to you and your church. I want you to know my thoughts, prayers and heart are still in Indiana with CFA. As I read the many pages of blogs and viewed the pictures, my heart was moved. I know our three days together were devine appointment, and i look forward to what God has in store for us. We are still planning on coming for your first service back in the sanctuary. please let us know if there is anything Convoy of Hope can do to help.

Your Friend, Paul