Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Holiday get-away


We returned late last night from a quick two day get-away.

It was a refreshing change of pace. It was some new scenery. It was time away from the normal grind and routine. It was recreational opportunity for my family. It was a great time! You know what...every family needs a good vacation!

For the last many years Tammy and I have enjoyed taking our kids down to Holiday World and Splashin' Safari in Santa Claus, Indiana (yes, you read that right!). It is a clean, family-centered theme park and water park a couple of hours from here in southwestern Indiana. We met a family from Colorado who was at our hotel and had never heard of our kid's best fun park, so I gave them my recommendation and brochure. You better believe they will check it out the next time they are in the area: http://www.holidayworld.com (I think I oughta get a commission off this free advertisement...what do you think?).

When you can get the whole family together and get away, you've accomplished something. Both of my boys had to rearrange their work schedules. Tammy and I had to rearrange our ministry schedules. There are always preparations you must do to get away...but it's sure worth every effort to do so. We really had a blast together!! Thanks Lord for the great times we shared as a family!

You won't believe what happened the first hour we were in the park. The boys and I went to one of the roller coaster rides and got in line. The ride was called the Voyage which was voted the #1 Wooden Roller Coaster ride on the planet...probably just a clever marketing ploy, but a great ride nonetheless. Anyway, we loaded into one of the coaster cars and ramped up for the first mountain of an incline. Their website says, "The Voyage is 1.2 miles long, placing it among the planet's top three longest and fastest wooden coasters." The Voyage also has three sections of extreme, 90-degree banking. A feast of "floater" air-time, The Voyage features three drops of over 100 feet, with the first drop's angle of descent a steep 66 degrees. The top speed of the three-train coaster is 67.4 miles per hour.

Ok, to my main point. My eldest son was enjoying the ride with his hands up in the air...so like a good father I did the very same thing. Hands up in the air...conquering the coaster monster. Feeling great...feeling strong. But on one of the crazy curves which snaps your body in two and wraps your spine around the jagged and twisted turns...my hands went right...my eyeglasses also went right and were quickly moved from off my ears and nose...and down into the deadly coaster graveyard territory!!!!!!!!

My glasses were gone...great, now what do I do?!@?!? Would you believe I was forced to go without my beloved specs for almost a day and a half because of my reckless and daring move on the first ride? Yeah, I know pretty foolish...but also funny at the same time. My kids and wife got a kick out of this crazy blunder...and were my eyes for the rest of the trip. (They wouldn't even dare let me climb into the driver's seat either...can you believe that?) The first thing I did when I got home was retrieve my spare set of specs... PTL...I CAN SEE AGAIN...and CLEARLY TOO!

Still haven't received the call that they've found my newest set of eyeglasses, but I'm still waiting! I must have went to the Public Relations booth a bunch of times while there...but every time, the same answer: "Sorry, we haven't found them yet!" I'm believing that they will and I'll find a surprise package from Santa Claus, IN one day and it won't be Christmas either...it will be my miracle day!

Today I learned that not much new carpeting at the church had been laid while we were away. In fact, I've been pretty upset with this flooring company for all the promises made and promises that haven't been kept. That's another whole story...but I'm not going there! Hope to have better news tomorrow...

Hope you missed my daily blogging...(let me know you enjoy the daily ramblings from the life of a pastor leading a church in crisis following the Flood of 2008! Leave me your comment below....it's real simple to do!).

From your refreshed blogger @ THE PASTOR'S BLOG!

Love to all!

3 comments:

Shawn said...

Missed you Sunday. Glad you and the family had a wonderful time. LOL on the glasses. Was happy to see that Jordan made this trip with you guys. That's great to have the whole family together for an outing. The church is looking great. Looking forward to our first service back at home. Memorial Baptist has been wonderful to us, PTL!!! But as Dorothy says "There's no place like home." Much love, Shawn

Sharon said...

Sounds like you had a good time (except for loosing your glasses) LOL. We've heard of Holiday World, but haven't been there. I'm glad you were able to get away, even though it was only a couple of days, to recharge your batteries.

Anonymous said...

Hey Pastor Don! This blog was very amusing to read! LOL, you're hilarious. :)
Love ya!
Malorie