Saturday, June 14, 2008

Ministry outreach continues to flow...

Today I took a break from the constant strain of our ministry center recovery and rebuilding project. I had a diversion that was rejuvenating and refreshing. I worked at Victory Field in Indy at the concession stands helping to raise money for my son's band expenses. Met a lot of wonderful people in the Band Boosters Club for Columbus East High School.

However, I did return to the church on my way home and spent several hours conversing with the project manager and walking through our exposed and somewhat naked church building. By naked I mean that every room is easily accessible and exposed to the next by the 4-foot floor opening. I can reach the sanctuary from my office, or the library by my office or the sanctuary bathroom to the sanctuary...get the picture. Even the main sanctuary platform floor has been yanked up. Looks pretty weird going in there...

Tammy, my lovely wife, had the opportunity for powerful ministry encounters at the COH distribution center today in our parking lot. This week she has been tied up in Indy every day for her work training and Autism seminars. She was sun-burned when I saw her today. She was talking and counseling a young child and her mother when I arrived on our outreach site. Pretty amazing this awesome wife of mine. She got right into the heart of the ministry action by touching tired and wounded lives with that bubbly joy and vivacious life that she carries from day to day. Thank you Lord for a partner, mate and friend in ministry that would work most of the day while her husband was off on a different mission the same day. "He who findeth a wife findeth a good thing!"

Tomorrow we venture forth into untraveled territory...at least not from about half a century ago. By this I mean that we leave 10th and Iowa Streets to worship in my friends church at Memorial Baptist on 7th Street. Think about it...
  • A different location...
  • A different church building...
  • A different floor plan...
  • A different sanctuary...
  • A different sound system to get used to...
  • A different time of the day (12:30 pm)...
  • A different pew for our people to pick out and choose where they want to worship (you know how we get so used to the same pew, same row and same things...
  • In summary, tomorrow will be quite different and very unusual...
However, different is just what God is doing to our church right now. Remember, we don't know what we are doing church, but our eyes are upon the Lord! He will show up...He will touch us...He will still save the lost and heal the sick...and He will perform miracles "beyond all limits."

I hope you will be praying in your church's for Columbus First Assembly. Would you say a little prayer for our congregation in your service this Lord's day? He has been responding to every faith-filled prayer that has been prayed on our behalf.

I probably will even be too excited to get any sleep tonight. Wait to hear more on this incredible service tomorrow evening...

I'm anticipating God to show up BIG TIME...

Anyone remember what happened on Father's Day 1995 in Pensacola, Florida?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A hearty AMEN!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, getting used to this blogging thing :) That last comment was from me.
-Allison