Wednesday, April 16, 2008

REMC

It was a first! Last night I attended the annual meeting of the Bartholomew County REMC. Since we moved to our new home last year we are on the REMC electric utility rather than the city utility. Basically, it is the rural electric membership corporation for the county in which we reside.

At the annual meeting we elected new officers and committee members, received the annual report, voted on amendments to the articles of incorporation, listened to the treasurer's report and heard about pertinent business items for the cooperative. (Yes, there was some rankering going on as well!) It was interesting to see how they conducted their annual meeting.

I was surprised that it was not too different than our church's annual business meeting. Many of the same elements were there at the REMC meeting that are in meetings that I conduct for our church. I was pleasantly surprised to see they had computuer glitches, power point presentation malfunctions and DVD issues as well! (And they had it all rehearsed too!) So much for technological advancements. Now if we can just find the right people to help us run with these tools, right??

My daughter wanted to go with me because they had a special magic show for the kids. She was being entertained while I was being a dependable member of the cooperative with my attendance and voting. In fact, she had her name pulled for one of the door prizes! Not bad Ashlyn. You did much better than your father - I didn't even get selected for one of the door prizes. I sure could have used that $250 Grand Prize too! (...but they did give me a $20 credit on my next month's electric bill just for showing up and a promised package of "green" light bulbs, if you know what I mean).

I hope you will be a trustworthy citizen that will make your upcoming presidential primary and general election vote count. I've got a great idea to get more people to the polls....give them a $250 dollar tax credit on their next tax statement just for voting. What do you think? (Don't get any ideas for our next church annual business meeting either...I'm way ahead of you! No, we don't offer tithe credits for just showing up at the annual meeting -sorry : - (

God bless!

No comments: