Sunday, January 25, 2009

Miss Indiana Crowned Miss America!

Miss America Katie Stam

Katie and Jennifer from WISH TV @ CFA

Katie behind CFA's disassembled Information Center
after the Flood of '08

Katie facing the WISH TV mobile truck unit in our parking lot

Katie Stam of Indiana was crowned Miss America on Saturday night. Katie hails from Seymour, Indiana (30 minutes south of Columbus) and is a Senior at the University of Indianapolis.

My wife has always enjoyed watching the Miss America pageants. Since she had participated in pageants when she was in college she has followed them ever since. Saturday was no exception. There were several pageant mini-shows ("Countdown to the Crown") leading up to the evening show where Miss America would be crowned. I remember seeing Miss Indiana and thinking to myself, "She sure looks familiar!" I didn't think anything of it until later that night we learned Miss Indiana Katie Stam had won Miss America 2009. Later on WISH TV's nightly newscast they announced it again that Katie had won. Then they mentioned that Katie had been an intern at WISH TV this past summer and has future plans to obtain a bachelor's degree in communications and become a television news anchor. She only has a semester left before graduation.

Bam...then it hit me! Now I remember...Katie was one of two reporters that came to interview me this past summer following the Flood of 2008. We even had a picture of her and Jennifer on our church website banner for sometime. What a small world that we would make connections with a future Miss America winner!

Congratulations to Katie on winning the pageant this year. In fact, Katie is the first girl to win for our Hoosier State. We are proud of her and also for outlasting the other 51 contestants to win the prized pageant.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was pretty cool to see her win! My best friend got to go the evening show where she was crowned and I got to see all the pictures! They were so good I even posted them on my super cool digital photo frame and showed them off to everyone!!

Anonymous said...

You know, the whole time I was wondering where I saw her before. That is just too weird. Invite her to re-opening day! She can bring her crown.